Weather forecasts warn of extreme cold weather continuing over the next several days with single digit and below zero temperatures expected. Wind chills as much as 20 below zero may occur!
Extreme cold increases the concern for seniors, children, and homeless persons. Anyone engaging in outdoor activities (especially children) should be carefully monitored for frostbite and hypothermia.
This may NOT be the time for outdoor activities…persons should have full protection of winter clothing, hats, gloves and boots if possible.
Neighbors should check on elderly neighbors and others who live alone.
All pets/animals should have warm shelter or be brought indoors even in the daytime.
Community members should be aware of the following resources:
- For cold weather emergencies, call 911.
- Persons needing emergency fuel assistance can call Community Action at 301-334-9431 (after hours, call 301-334-1926).
- Persons needing emergency shelter, call Department of Social Services at 301-533-3000.
- For assistance with pets or stray animals, call Garrett County Animal Shelter at 301-334-3553.
- Not sure who to call? Citizens may call the Garrett County Public Safety/Emergency Management non-emergency line at 301-334-1929 for assistance.