In this column we highlight Garrett County and the Deep Creek Lake, MD area. We provide short writings on its people, places, and opportunities from an “insider” perspective. Typically, the articles will be authored by Deep Creek Times Owners and Publishers Mike Tumbarello and Sarah Myers. We also welcome submissions from members of the community and visitors.
Share your idea with Sarah and Mike.
Written By: Mike Tumbarello
Since February is the month with Valentine’s Day in it, I thought I would write about “love” in this month’s Cover Story. But unlike the love we normally associate with Valentine’s Day – love of another individual – I thought I would touch on love of “place.”
In this case, I wanted to specifically get readers thinking about their attraction to and love for the Deep Creek Lake area of Western Maryland. If you read Deep Creek Times, you likely are a resident, second homeowner or visitor in the area. We find many of our readers have a true “love and devotion” for Deep Creek, including its many natural wonders, its destinations, its peaceful, real-world beauty, its adventure activities, its serenity, and its people and its varied communities that dot the mountain landscape.
I will list my favorite things about the Deep Creek Lake area that make me love living and working here and writing about it in Deep Creek Times. I will also list a piece from way back in 2010 that was written by an author I do not know on a site I am not a reader of…. But when searching the Internet for thoughts for this article, I came across this piece on what appears to be a site on environmental causes and thought the feelings expressed by their readers were interesting and worth sharing.
First, why I love the Deep Creek Lake area:
- The natural beauty
- The lack of congestion
- The variety and number of things to do
- The people and institutions
- The safety and serenity I find here
- The simplicity and integrity I often find
- The chance to witness nature up-close and personal
- The wildlife
I pulled Sarah in to list her favorite things about living in the Deep Creek Lake area, too:
- The four distinct seasons
- The best road biking on the East Coast
- The large network of trails to hike
- The best “swimming hole” at Swallow Falls State Park
- The small-town, quiet feeling; the street-lights flashing after 10pm
- The water: in all its forms — the abundance of lakes, streams, sparkling ice, and snowfall
- The deep, starry night sky
- The community of non-profits, small mom and pops, and large businesses working to “do good”
- The close-knit folks who will do anything to lend a hand
(recently, I had an acquaintance drive by my house, see me unloading a truckload of bricks and stop to help…. he and I unloaded every last one of them!)
- The friends who become family
What do you love about the lake area and why you visit or make it your home?
Here’s the link to the article I told you about, written by Sarah Goodyear of Grist and titled “Why You Love the Places You live, in Your Own Words.” It includes short pieces from a diverse number of people on why they love their home city.
Enjoy and I hope you all find and have love this month and forever!