In this column we will highlight Garrett County, its people, places and opportunities from an “insider” perspective. The articles will appear at various times throughout the year and will be authored by Deep Creek Times Owners/Publishers Mike Tumbarello and Sarah Myers. We also welcome submissions from members of the community and visitors.
Share your idea with Sarah and Mike.
People live, own second homes or visit Deep Creek Lake and environs for a number of reasons. Some come for the beauty, others for the outdoor adventures and still others just to relax and unwind. I thought I would take a look at the health benefits – albeit loosely defined – of the Deep Creek Lake area.
While I (Mike) have taken an approach to list the top “healthy reasons” to experience the lake area – based on informal research, observation, insight from others and also my own experiences, I do recognize that the Deep Creek Lake area holds allure for many based on a number of personal reasons and motivations. With all that said, here’s my personal take of the top 10 health-related reasons to “hang at the lake.”
- The lake itself – The lake and its waters can definitely “calm one’s soul” even as they raise our pulse as we swim, boat, fish, kayak, play on the shore or just sit and observe the sunrise or sunset from our deck
- The mountains and trees – There’s a feeling of majesty and a greater purpose as one looks out at the beautiful mountains that surround the lake. Trees give oxygen and they also give us a connectedness with the earth.
- The cool, crisp, clean air – Even in the summer, the air around Deep Creek lake just feels cooler and cleaner. In winter, cool air can be invigorating. In summer, the cooler air can be rejuvenating.
- The chance to just “get away” from it all – We live in stressful times and many of us have stressful lives. The Deep Creek lake area provides a chance to break “the cycle of stress” and rejuvenate by slowing down (or speeding up if you are into adventure sports) and hitting the reset button.
- The state parks and other natural destinations – We are blessed to have a number of great state parks in the area. These parks help us experience the “wilderness” and its flora and fauna while still being close to civilization and career.
- The trail system and the hiking – Garrett County has an amazing trail system and it is one that keeps expanding and serves all our needs, from those seeking to stroll in the forest to those avid hikers, bikers and runners taking it “to the next level.”
- The downhill and cross-country skiing – While we are not the Alps or Aspen, we are accessible, affordable and have abundant skiing opportunities, especially for families seeking to bond on the slopes or trail.
- The great whitewater rafting – In addition to the Yough river whitewater opportunity (out of Friendsville and other locations) we have the ASCI man-made course that was the site of the 2014 Canoe and Kayak world championships. Whether you are a pro or a beginner, there is an opportunity take off down the river.
- The restaurants and other indoor activities – Not only do we have a variety of great food to greet the palate of almost anyone, but you don’t have to cook it yourself. You can eat healthy or indulge on vacation while you chill with friends and family.
- The healthcare ecosystem – This is the only formal health-related listing here. While the others can help us get or stay happy and healthy, we may just need to utilize the services of the healthcare ecosystem. Whether a massage at the lake, a day at the spa, a quick visit to a healthcare professional or a visit to the hospital, the Deep Creek Lake area and Garrett County have a number of solutions to meet your need.
Well, there you have it. Mike’s list of the top health-related reasons to visit, or live, at the lake. I’ve included a few links below to provide another layer of insight and information. What is your top health-related reason for coming to the lake? Send me your thoughts at firstname.lastname@example.org. Have a healthy, happy May and rest of the year.
Here’s a select few links for further exploration:
Deep Creek lake State Park – https://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pages/western/deepcreek.aspx
Bill’s Marine Service – https://www.billsmarineservice.com/
New Germany State Park – https://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pages/western/newgermany.aspx
Garrett Trails – http://www.garretttrails.org/
Wisp resort – https://www.wispresort.com/
Dining Guide – https://deepcreektimes.com/area-dining-guide/
Business Guide – https://deepcreektimes.com/business-guide/
Lodging Guide – https://deepcreektimes.com/lodging-guide/
Garrett Regional Medical Center – https://www.grmc-wvumedicine.org/
NEXT PAGE >>