The Garrett County Department of Solid Waste & Recycling announces that the 2019 Residential Refuse Permits are now available. Residents can renew/purchase permits now and it will be valid from the date of purchase through the end of 2019. Your current 2018 permit will expire on December 31, 2018.
The Permits utilize a radio frequency identification system (RFID) that allows the permit to be scanned for validity at each collection site. Customers may renew the same permit for as long as they own the vehicle that it is originally placed on provided they pay the annual fee. DO NOT REMOVE YOUR CURRENT PERMIT DECAL FROM YOUR WINDSHIELD. The RFID system makes replacing a permit much simpler.
Purchase of 2019 Residential Refuse Permit:
- The fee is $50.00 per year and payments can be made using cash, check, or money order.
- Complete the renewal form and make payment before December 31, 2018.
- To order your permit online sign into payments at www.garrettcounty.org. There is no additional charge for using your credit card.
- To purchase your permit by mail or in person, please visit the Landfill on Oakland Sang Run Road or the Garrett County Tax Collection Office.
- You will not receive a receipt when you renew unless you request one.
Replacement of RFID Permit:
If a customer requires a replacement permit due to trading a vehicle, loss of a windshield, or an accident, they can order a replacement with a phone call or e-mail to the Landfill office. The RFID will allow a permit to be switched off electronically, customers no longer need to return the old permit for a replacement.
- Do not remove your current permit decal from your windshield, it will be reactivated upon renewal.
- You will be required to pay by the bag if you have not renewed
- Applications are not mailed out but will be available at all collection sites, online, the Garrett County Tax Office, and the Landfill office.
- Purchasing early will help customers avoid lines and delays at the end of the year.