The weather today will be patchy drizzle between 9am and noon. Patchy fog between 9am and 10am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 73 and a low around 55. South wind around 6 mph.
With the celebration of Indigenous Peoples’ Day yesterday, I saw several versions of this map on my social feeds. While it does not intend to represent legal boundaries of any Indigenous nation, it attempts to show the history of the land we inhabit. To learn more about the ideas behind the Native Land site or the maps, read more on their blog or their roadmap. It looks like Garrett County was originally inhabited by the Massawomeck people.
Here are 5 items to keep in mind to keep your pet safe this Halloween season (from Dr. Caroline Wilde, staff veterinarian at Trupanion):
1. Historically there is a noticeable increase in chocolate toxicity claims beginning now through the end of the year. Be sure to keep chocolates and candies away from pets.
2. Pumpkin candles and decorations can easily find wagging tails and curious noses. Ensure decor is not accessible.
3. Make sure your pet is comfortable wearing a costume (if you so desire) and please don’t leave your pet unattended in its costume.
4. It’s best to keep your pet in a separate room away from the front door during trick-or-treat activities. Added commotion and noise can be stressful to family pets.
5. In case your dog or cat manages to dart outside, make sure they have on a reflective collar for visibility and proper identification attached. Getting your pet microchipped can help ensure your pet’s safe return if it does get out (at any time of year).
The Civic Club of Oakland is welcoming everyone to the 47th Annual Antique & Makers Market during this upcoming Autumn Glory weekend. There will be door prizes drawn for prizes donated by Lowes, Tractor Supply, Oakland Mercantile, The Painted Cupboard, Naylors Hardware & more! Also, there will be a silent auction for a vintage feed sack quilt made in the 1930s/1940s by Gertie Ruby and donated by Pat Moorfoot. The quilt measures 70 x70 and is in remarkably good condition considering its age and that it was actively used by Gertie’s grandchildren back in the day.
UScellular’s Community Connections program provides a virtual way for K-12 groups to raise up to $1,000, whether they need STEM equipment, fresh uniforms, or new instruments for the school band. Organizers can register their group at communityconnections.uscellular.com to start earning sponsorship support online.
Trout stocking continues in Garrett County:
- Casselman River (Delayed Harvest): rainbow trout
- North Branch Potomac River (Gorman): rainbow trout
- North Branch Potomac River (Kitzmiller): rainbow trout
- North Branch Potomac River (Westport): rainbow trout
- Piney Reservoir: rainbow trout
- Savage River: rainbow trout
- Youghiogheny River (Catch and Release): rainbow trout
- Youghiogheny River (Delayed Harvest): rainbow trout
- Youghiogheny River (Friendsville): rainbow trout
- Youghiogheny River (Oakland): rainbow trout
I am placing an order for custom-designed Deep Creek Lake, MD bike jerseys and shorts! The mock-up (at the bottom of this page) is a draft design so it may vary slightly with the final product. Please place your order by October 15th!
Vaccines are available in Oakland from 8:30 am – 4:00 pm today.
Children’s Story Time is today from 10:30 am – 11:00 am in Kitzmiller. This program is geared for children ages 3-5.
The 2021 Turkey Trail begins tomorrow. Learn more about the history of turkey dinners and the Autumn Glory Festival and find your next turkey dinner!