The weather today will be mostly sunny with a high near 71 and a low around 53. West wind 8 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph.
Governor Hogan held a press conference last evening to announce that Maryland is moving forward with additional Stage Two openings as of 5 pm tomorrow (June 12):
- INDOOR DINING. Restaurants can resume indoor operations at 50 percent capacity, with appropriate distancing, and following strict public health requirements consistent with the CDC, FDA, and the National Restaurant Association. Maryland Department of Health directives.
- OUTDOOR AMUSEMENTS. Outdoor amusements and rides, including miniature golf and go-kart tracks, may resume with appropriate health and safety protocols. Capacity restrictions at pools will be increased to 50 percent with strict safety guidelines still in place. Guidelines and best practices.
Reopenings Effective Friday, June 19 at 5pm:
- INDOOR FITNESS ACTIVITIES
- CASINOS, ARCADES, AND MALLS
- CHILD CARE PROVIDERS. All child care providers may begin to reopen, and the number of individuals child care providers can have in one room has been expanded to a maximum of 15.
- OUTDOOR HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS. Outdoor high school sports may begin to resume practice and training activities within the same guidelines that were previously announced for youth sports programs.
While things are opening up at the state level, more local cancellations have been made:
There will be no Oakland Pocket Park movies for the 2020 Season due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The members of the Accident Vol Fire Department have canceled the 2020 4th of July Homecoming Celebration. Also, the August Friendsville Days Festival is canceled.
As far as we know, the Fire on the Mountian Deep Creek Lake fireworks display is still ON for July 4.
Parents: The Garrett County Public Schools will be sending out a survey to gain your feedback on school reopening. They are encouraging one survey per public school student. The most-recent GCPS meeting can be found here.
Mt. Lake Independent Baptist church recently met with members of the Oakland City Police Department and the Garrett County Sherriff’s Office to present them with personalized gifts in recognition of their service to the community.
There is a WaterQuest 15.4 canoe newly listed in our Online Marketplace. Includes 3 new Skis life preservers & 2 paddles for $400 cash. Call (301) 387-5374 for information.