The Garrett County Board of Education will hold a community listening session on Wednesday, March 16, 2022, at Southern Garrett High School in the cafeteria from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. Speakers may sign up until 8:00 p.m. The purpose of this listening session is to gather feedback from community members regarding grade-band alignment on the Southern end of the county. The Superintendent proposed a new grade-band alignment for Garrett County Schools of PreK ~ 6 and 7 ~ 12 at the February 8, 2022, Board of Education Meeting. Because community feedback is a critical component in the decision-making process, this session is open to the public and will be recorded so that no input, comments, or questions are missed. The public should be aware of these important details regarding the scope and format of the Listening Session:
- The Board requests that public comments be limited to the consideration of the new grade-band alignment only. This will allow the Board to give serious consideration to the proposed alignment. Other topics relative to the proposed plan, including consolidations and possible closures, will be discussed at community listening sessions at a later date.
- The Board may hold a separate listening session for grade-band alignment on the northern end of the county at a later date should it be necessary.
- The Board will take no action regarding the proposed grade-band alignment at this meeting. This session is part of the information-gathering process.
In addition to the guidelines above, the protocol for public comment at all Board of Education meetings will be followed:
- Public Comment will be limited to 3 minutes per person. Minutes cannot be given to other speakers.
- The Board will consider all public comments but will not respond or answer questions.
- Issues that are specific to individual employees should be referred to the immediate supervisor for appropriate consideration and review.
- Rude, slanderous, or threatening remarks or other disruptive behavior or interferes with the order of the meeting is not permitted.
Anyone wishing to provide feedback but is unable to attend the meeting is encouraged to submit their comments to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Comments will not be read aloud at this or any other meeting. However, the Superintendent and Board members read all written comments that are submitted.