By Diane Lee, Public Information Officer, Garrett County Health Department
The Garrett County Health Department has scheduled seasonal flu and pneumonia immunization clinics in October and November. The vaccines will be available at walk-in clinics at Health Department sites in Oakland and Grantsville, and at several Senior Centers and community sites.
“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends getting flu vaccine as soon as it is available every season,” said Garrett County Health Officer Bob Stephens. “Getting an annual flu vaccine is the first and best way to protect yourself and your family from the flu. It can reduce flu illnesses, doctors’ visits, and missed work and school due to flu, as well as prevent flu-related hospitalizations.”
The walk-in clinics schedule is as follows:
- GCHD-Oakland (1025 Memorial Drive), Oct. 14, (Thurs.), 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- GCHD-Grantsville (28 Hershberger Lane), Oct. 15, (Fri.), 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Friendsville Senior Center, Oct. 20, (Wed.), 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- GCHD-Oakland, Oct. 21, (Thurs.), 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- GCHD-Grantsville, Oct. 22, (Fri.), 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Kitzmiller Senior Center, Oct. 27, (Wed.), 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Bloomington Fire Hall, Oct. 27, (Wed.), 3 – 6 p.m.
- GCHD-Oakland, Oct. 28, (Thurs.), 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- GCHD-Grantsville, Oct. 29, (Fri.), 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Swanton Senior Center, Nov. 1, (Mon.), 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- GCHD-Oakland, Nov. 4, (Thurs.), 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- GCHD-Grantsville, Nov. 5, (Fri.), 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- GCHD-Oakland, Nov. 18, (Thurs.), 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- GCHD-Grantsville, Nov. 19 (Fri.), 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Insurance providers, including Medicare Part B, will be billed as appropriate. Insurance cards should be brought to the clinic. There will be no out-of-pocket costs for the flu shot for anyone, regardless of insurance status. Pneumonia vaccine will also be available at these clinics, but only for those with Medicare Part B. Other persons who want pneumonia vaccine should call the Health Department to schedule an appointment at the health department.
For questions about flu vaccine, contact your doctor, or call the health department at 301-334-7770 or 301 895-3111. Visit garretthealth.org/influenza for more information about the flu vaccine clinics.