The month of October is recognized as National Disability Employment Awareness Month. Over the past few years, local businesses have played a vital role in allowing Garrett County Public Schools (GCPS) students with disabilities to engage in work-based learning experiences. On behalf of the Department of Special Education’s Secondary Transition Team, we would like to thank these local businesses for their partnership.
Through their partnership, GCPS students with disabilities are given a unique opportunity to explore their career interests and practice the necessary skills for successful employment. Together, we are able to prepare our students with the experience, skills, and knowledge to succeed in their post-secondary employment goals. Since we initiated the work-based learning program in 2017, we have been able to provide 38 students with disabilities with employment experiences.
GCPS would like to thank the following businesses for their commitment to promote students with disabilities in the workforce.
* Appalachian Crossroads, Oakland
* Auto Land, Accident
* The Cornish Cafe, Oakland
* FireFly Farms Market, Accident
* Fratz True Value Hardware, Accident
* Garrett Container System Inc, Accident
* Garrett County Community Action, Oakland
* Greater Oakland Business Association, Oakland
* Gregg’s Pharmacy, Oakland
* HART for Animals Inc, Accident
* Chamber of Commerce, McHenry
* Naylors Hardware, Oakland
* Patriot Automotive Group Inc, Oakland
* Pick of the Litter, Oakland
* Shear Fantasy, Oakland
* Simon Pearce, Oakland
* 3rd Street Diner, Oakland