Originally Published on Patch.com
Nine restaurant industry leaders from around the state won top awards at the Restaurant Association of Maryland’s 2023 Awards Gala held March 26 at Maryland Live Casino.
More than 600 guests, including chefs, owners, employees and industry supporters, were in attendance to celebrate the recipients: RAM Restaurateur of the Year, the Phillips Lifetime Achievement Award and the Heart of the Industry Award:
- 2023 RAM Restaurateur of the Year: Brenda McDonnell, Brenda’s Pizzeria, Trader’s Coffee House, Ace’s Run, Firewater (Garrett County)
- 2023 Phillips Lifetime Achievement Award: Steve F. de Castro, Big Steaks Management (Multiple Locations)
- 2023 Heart of the Industry Award: Juan Lowman, The White Oak Tavern (Ellicott City)
Representatives from the Restaurant Association also announced the results of the public vote for industry favorites from across the state. The winners included:
- Bartender of the Year: Tiffany “TJ” Huryk, Steelefish Grille in Bel Air
- Chef of the Year: Zack Trabbold, The Local in Fallston
- Restaurant Manager of the Year: Elle Grose, Fallston Barrel House in Fallston
- Server of the Year: Christy Wilson, Red Lobster in Bel Air
“These talented foodservice professionals are the heart of Maryland restaurants and we’re grateful for the opportunity to celebrate the work and passion that they pour into this industry each and every day,” said Marshall Weston Jr., RAM president & CEO, in a news release.
Established in 1936, RAM members are foodservice and hospitality businesses including restaurants, bars and taverns, food trucks, grocery stores, private clubs, caterers, hotels and other businesses that serve food. RAM also welcomes allied members, which are companies that work alongside the foodservice industry by providing goods and services.