The Garrett County Chamber is now accepting nominations for the 2021 Heise Entrepreneurial Spirit Award. The Heise Entrepreneurial Spirit Award was named in honor of Helmuth and Evelyn Heise, founders of Will O’ the Wisp and Wisp Resort, Maryland’s only downhill ski resort. The Heise Award is given to one business owner each year that has shown similar entrepreneurial qualities.
The criteria for nomination include the following (please note that the criteria have changed as of 2016):
- Open to business owners including partners/families that originated, developed, and/or significantly expanded the business
- Willingness to take risks with possibility of losing all
- Involved in the community
- High ethical standards
- Nominee must be a member of the Chamber of Commerce
- Demonstrated leadership (through one or more of the following): 1) By overcoming a formidable problem that threatened the business’s existence 2) By showing business acumen through embarking on a creative, insightful or overlooked opportunity that makes important contributions to Garrett County’s business environment 3) Through substantive community impact
You can make a nomination for the 2021 Heise Award by using the online form HERE or by downloading the form HERE and faxing it to 301-334-8073, emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailing it to Garrett County Chamber of Commerce, 15 Visitors Center Drive, McHenry, MD 21541. The deadline for nomination submissions is EOD Friday, May 21.